Everyone is using social media. If you’re not, you’re missing out. With the hype over social media marketing abound, it’s easy to feel left out and intimidated by new technology. But don’t let that feeling overwhelm you. There are easy ways to integrate your professional work into an online presence.
First, clear the air about social media and dispel the myths that might have prevented you from diving in head first. A piece on social media myths from Entrepreneur.com, written by interactive-marketing agency founder Chris Wallace offers helpful advice to get you started:
- Social media marketing is NOT a waste of time, according to Wallace. Instead, social media allows a user to rapidly connect to and communicate with others. Engaging your professional image and business can be a way to start a conversation about you or your services.
- No matter the size of your business, social media WILL play a vital role in how you do business. Use social media to build an online reputation that shows people care about your business, no matter how large your client base.
- Social media WILL impact your bottom line. In today’s world, researching a business online is routine, as is hearing from word of mouth – including through a post, “like” or “tweet.”
- Social media marketing is easy to learn and will NOT drown out your time, Wallace says. Start simple. A basic Facebook page for your business or a Twitter account is one small step. Don’t let yourself become overwhelmed. Build on your knowledge with social media slowly over time. Once your presence is out there, it will also build upon itself and you will reap promotional rewards. Expect to as little as 30 minutes a day on social media. Still no time? Hire a professional to provide social media management for you.
- People DO care what you have to say about your business. Your words will be heard. Use social media to your advantage to garner customer feedback, interest surveys and develop new products or business services based on customer needs. Social media presents an opportunity to reach out and communicate directly and instantly with your customers.
Take social media marketing one step at a time and the process of immersing yourself and your business will feel less overwhelming. Don’t pass up another opportunity for free marketing. Embrace the advantages of social media, and you’ll be surprised about the increased business that will come from it.